Friday, January 8, 2016

Greed, justice, and lack of attention

So last night I went to bed with the word of the day percolating through my thought process. How to depict "greed"? By the time I woke up, my mind had pictured greed as a large hungry mouth in a void. The mouth would have multiple rows of teeth (all the better to devour with) but being a disembodied mouth, everything the mouth consumes is lost to the void. Greed is never satisfied, always wanting MORE!

Too bad I mis-remembered the word for the day! The actual assignment is to draw envy, not greed. And it's really not the same concept at all, even though the two are somewhat related. Sorry folks, here is my D-/F submission for the 7th -- it doesn't follow the directions of the assignment at all. But here you have it --

Greed:



I realized upon reflection that the perspective of the tongue on this is completely wrong, so I re-did the tongue:


Then I realized that this is not really right either (and I prefer the softer look of the tongue above) but my 10 minutes was up, so I moved on to the next drawing...



The word for today is "justice". You know, as in "liberty and justice for all". And my favorite verse from the Old Testament (mangled Trish recollection of the translations I've read it in): "He has shown you what is good and what the Lord requires: do justice, love mercy, and walk humbly with your God" (Micah 6:8). Goodness, I could write a whole book of blogs based on this one!
What comes to mind for me when I think about "doing justice" is this: making wrong things right. For everyone.

Justice:


I chose a single finger as the acting force in this because I liked the message it sends -- it doesn't always take a lot of effort to correct a wrong, and anyone can do it!. 

Thank you for stopping by!

1 comment:

  1. Love your blog Trish. I love your depiction of justice.

    ReplyDelete