Friday, January 15, 2016

Slavery and despair

I'm not sure what is says about me that I found it much easier to come up with pictures for the words slavery and despair (Jan. 13&14) but am still flummoxed as to how to portray our most recent word: contentment.

Maybe it's the migraines, making it easier to think dark thoughts than happy ones?

For slavery, I immediately went to the idea of having no voice or power, being totally disenfranchised. I can't help but think about the stories of trafficked girls, and this is what came to mind:


I believe I will revisit this concept and take a bit more time with it. After I took the photos of this I realized the shape of the face is way too round, but by then I had dumped the powder back in the jar. Oops!

Despair -- this brought to mind the feeling of being crushed under the weight of depression or difficulties. Obviously I need to work on figure drawing, but I think this at least communicates what I was going for. I will revisit this drawing/concept again also for my series of hard life pictures. As soon as I have the time to really focus, and after I get the little wooden artist's human figure model in the mail. I think that will help me with getting the parts of the woman more proportionate.

Despair:

Thank you for dropping by!
...TRrrish ;o)

No comments:

Post a Comment